Happy Birthday

Today is the Dr. Seuss Day Blog Hop. Join Molly, Jakey and Chimera to celebrate Dr. Seuss Day @ LLB in our Backyard, Alasandra, The Cats & Dogs (ATCAD) and Molly the AireGirl.

Interesting facts about Dr. Seuss:

Dr. Seuss was born Theodor Seuss Geisel on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Seuss was not a doctor. He added Dr. to his name in college to lend credibility to his writing.

Geisel’s first book And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street was rejected 27 times before it was finally published.

Seuss won a $50.00 bet with his publisher by writing Green Eggs and Ham using only 50 words.

Seuss based the Grinch character on himself to try to rediscover something about Christmas that obviously he’d lost.

Though he had no children of his own, he invented an imaginary one named Chrysanthemum-Pearl that he used to brag about.

If I Ran The Zoo holds the distinction of being the first published record of the word Nerd.

Dr. Seuss wrote and illustrated 44 children’s books in his lifetime.

He purchased an old observation tower in La Jolla, California where he’d write at least 8 hours a day.

Happy Birthday our beloved Dr. Seuss and please enjoy a cupcake.

87 thoughts on “Happy Birthday

1. Ann Thompson says:

OMG, those cupcakes are adorable. Had I seen this sooner I could have done something like this for work.
    Lucky for lots of children that he never gave up on trying to publish that first book or on writing. I loved his books growing up.

2. Pam says:

Oh my, my, my…..not sure how he ever got anything written living in a tower in La Jolla! Such a beautiful place, the ocean would have been calling me to go sit on the beach and write.

3. Paul Pietrangelo says:

Those cupcakes sure look good. Yum, yum. On the Carnival ships they have a breakfast for children and their parents of green eggs and ham. It’s always filled and the children love it having breakfast with The Cat in the Hat and also other characters in the book. It was amazing for the little children. See ya Sandee.

4. Kathe W. says:

oh what a cute blog post! Our library here is celebrating Dr Seuss also!
    and my very own “Dr Seuss” is celebrating his birthday in just 3 days!
    Have fun today and everyday! xoxo

5. The OP Pack says:

Very cool cupcakes!!! Mom was born in Springfield, MA and lived there for the first 37 years of her life. She has been on Mulberry Street many times. They made a museum to honor Theodore Geisel after she had moved to Kansas.

Woos – Lightning, Misty, and Timber

6. Valentine says:

I would bet that Dr. Seuss had a pussycat or two or three or maybe more. Maybe they were the ones that paw penned the stories! Tee hee hee. Those cupcakes are making Mom salivate. She has a major sweet tooth!

• Sandee says:

Actually he was a dog person, not a cat person. I do think he loved all animals though. Tell mom to have a cupcake. It’s a good thing of Dr. Seuss Day. πŸ™‚

• Sandee says:

Thank you for co-hosting this fun blog hop. My first time and I enjoyed all the posts. Such fun. Yes everything around and in San Diego is most special. πŸ™‚