Wednesdays Question

It’s Wednesday so that means it’s question time. It’s time to ponder and then answer just one question. Okay, you can add all you want as a reason for your answer too. We’d all like that.

Here’s this weeks question: Do you participate in Halloween (either going out with the kiddos or handing out candy), or do you hide?

Long ago we quit handing out candy because Little Bit would bark her head off every time the doorbell rang, and we took off to spend the holiday on the boat. We’re going to the boat this Halloween because we enjoy the peace and quiet the boat will offer. Hardly anyone will be around, so we are going to hide.
Β

60 comments for “Wednesdays Question

1. October 28, 2015 at 3:17 am

Sandee, over here we do not celebrate Halloween. Have a wonderful time spent on your boat.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:08 pm

We'll enjoy our boat just fine. Thanks. πŸ™‚

2. October 28, 2015 at 4:32 am

The only tricksters in my hood live next door and are MINE, so Grammie always has something for them. Our town square has a big celebration to keep the kids there and safe, so our church youth hand out candy there. We have contributed many bags for that cause! My big kids will provide many photos of the wee ones for us to enjoy…in the quiet of our home! Everybody's happy. Would love to be chillin on that boat with y'all, however.

Big hugs, honey…

• October 28, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I used to love it so, but don't anymore. It's just not what I want to spend my evening doing. πŸ™‚

3. October 28, 2015 at 4:40 am

We take the younger kids out, but no one comes to our door. We've heard that kids are too scared to walk up the driveway. Back in the day, teens would dare each other to walk up to the door. No one made it even halfway. πŸ™‚
    I hope you find some peace and comfort out on the boat this weekend.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Oh I love your house already. Yes I do. πŸ™‚

4. October 28, 2015 at 5:12 am

Normally, I don't have any trick or treaters which is very nice. I don't do much for Halloween. Glad you are going on the boat Sandee. Big hugs to you and Zane.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:09 pm

We don't do anything. Even better. πŸ™‚

5. October 28, 2015 at 5:24 am

Well, as you know I go to bed quite early, usually before the first trick or treaters start out so I just leave the lights off and go to bed. I use to leave a basket on the front porch for them to help themselves but some big kids who are too old to be out trick or treating in the first place (idiots!) always grab all of the candy and ruin it for the little ones so I quit doing that.

I do stock up on my chocolate when it's BOGO though. πŸ™‚

Have yourself a lovely time on the boat. big hugs xoxo

• October 28, 2015 at 12:10 pm

The big kids can ruin it for the little ones can't they. Bless their hearts. πŸ™‚

6. October 28, 2015 at 5:47 am

I only don't do Halloween because I live in an apt/condo complex that doesn't permit trick or treating. I actually miss seeing the kids in their costumes but I save money in reference to not having to buy candy!! πŸ™‚
    Have a great day!
    xoxo
    catchatwithcarenandcody

• October 28, 2015 at 12:11 pm

We spent a ton of money on good candy when we still did this. There had to be 200 plus kids from 5 to around 10 those nights. πŸ™‚

7. October 28, 2015 at 5:56 am

We still have a few monsters coming to our door bur not as many as was in the past. Our daughter brings our grandchildren and we have something special for them and I want to get a few photos of them in their outfits. When the teenagers start coming, I turn the lights out then the candy is just for me. Ha,ha,ha.
    Have a spooky Wednesday Sandee. See ya.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:12 pm

It's good that you don't have a lot. Hubby and the next door neighbor used to sit out in the driveway so the doorbell wasn't ringing for hours. πŸ™‚

8. October 28, 2015 at 6:21 am

I'm not fond of Halloween but I pass out candy between the appointed hours. I get around 100. I hate that the grown ups dress up too. It's scary to answer the door with tall people in masks on the porch. Poor Levi has to spend the night in the laundry so he hates it more than me.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:12 pm

That's a lot of kids. Just about right really. They bus the kids in here since we have 4 large subdivisions here. Hundreds of kids. πŸ™‚

9. October 28, 2015 at 6:27 am

Dear Sandee, I enjoy handing out candy. It is fun watching the kids dress up and enjoy.
    xoxo Catherine

• October 28, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I used to as well, but not anymore. Too exhausting. πŸ™‚

10. October 28, 2015 at 6:48 am

Now that we live in a remote area- there's no point in putting out candy. This year our Weed Library is having an artist reception for the latest art exhibit on Halloween and we will have new books and treats for the kids- some of us will also be in Costume! Should be a fun evening! Cheers!

• October 28, 2015 at 12:13 pm

See going somewhere for a function is fine, but handing out candy all night, not. πŸ™‚

11. October 28, 2015 at 7:18 am

Hand out candy because it's darn near impossible to hide.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Yep, it is. Lots of folks go out to dinner that evening. Dinner and a movie. πŸ™‚

12. October 28, 2015 at 7:41 am

We'll be turning out the lights and hiding out. At beast we get just a few trick or treaters so it's not worth having Angel scared from the doorbell plus having candy leftover for us!

Enjoy your time on the boat! Hugs and purrs!

• October 28, 2015 at 12:14 pm

I hear you. It's all about our babies isn't it. Yes it is. πŸ™‚

13. October 28, 2015 at 8:24 am

I love seeing the kiddos in their costumes! This Halloween I'll dress up in two flood your Ruffles scarves that look like boas, don a tiara, and pass out candy. I hear we get a lot of kids.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:14 pm

You'll have a great time I'm sure. Enjoy. πŸ™‚

14. October 28, 2015 at 9:57 am

We have handed out candy every year since we've been in this subdivision. Some years we get lots of kids, some years we get very few, but it's been on the upswing again, so we will be ready!

• October 28, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Enjoy the upswing. πŸ™‚

15. October 28, 2015 at 10:31 am

In short ..hide LOL

Have a candytastic day heheh! g-)

• October 28, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I'm with you. I'll meet you at the pub and we'll have a few. πŸ™‚

16. October 28, 2015 at 11:10 am

We live on a main road now and in the Nashville area, parents tend to take their kids to subdivisions where there are more houses in a row. Unless someone is just driving kids from driveway to driveway, I don't expect we'll get any kids. I bought some candy just in case because in a new house, you just NEVER know! But we'll probably go out to dinner, then come back and flip the porch light on and see if anyone stops by.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:16 pm

You never know indeed. We'll be hiding and it's a private marina so people don't come of outside. Owners and guests only. Never had a problem. πŸ™‚

17. LAC
    October 28, 2015 at 11:34 am

Having a five year old means it is mandatory to participate. But, I am not a fan of being out on that night, in the dark. I feel its a bit unsafe. So this year, we are starting new traditions. We already trick or treated at the nearby campground last Saturday. Fun, no cars. Just walking from camper to camper. Loved it!!! Tomorrow night is an annual TRUNK or TREAT that the local high school Key Club students host, again… safe! Well lit and in the high school parking lot. That should be enough candy for us to last a year. So on Halloween we are actually treating my daughter to a day at our favorite amusement Park, Knoebels. Its the last day of the year for them before winter. And they usually go all out for spooktacular weekends in October. Its just awesome that Halloween falls on a weekend this year and we can do this. Hoping for tons of new memories!!! And lots of SAFE fun.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:16 pm

The fun and safe stuff is the very best. Even better actually. Enjoy Lisa. πŸ™‚

18. October 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

We will participate this year. The new neighborhood is filled with kids. We may just sit on the porch and hand out the candy. It's much easier than answering the door 95 times.

• October 28, 2015 at 12:17 pm

I knew you would in the new neighborhood. You'll have fun I'm sure. πŸ™‚

19. October 28, 2015 at 12:18 pm

If we lived somewhere we got trick-or-treaters, I would definitely hand out candy. I love seeing the kids all excited in their costumes. Cheers – Ellen

• October 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I can relate. I used to love it. Don't know what happened, but I came to dread Halloween. πŸ™‚

20. October 28, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Live in the country these days with no trick or treaters. When I was in town I always gave out candy with a big boo when answering the door!

• October 28, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I remember country living. Hardly anyone bothered you. πŸ™‚

October 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I used to pass out candy but we always get TONS of trick or treaters and I've never had enough candy to last the whole time. The last few years I've just shut out the lights and hid. That's my plan for this year too

• October 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm

It starts around 5 and ends around 10 here. Long haul and lots of candy. πŸ™‚

22. October 28, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Halloween's not traditionally been a big deal in England although the marketeers try to make it so. Kids seem to have stopped coming round here now. Maybe they met too many hiders!

• October 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm

It's a big deal here. The little ones are adorable, but the big kids need to find something else to do. πŸ™‚

23. October 28, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I don't really participate in Halloween except to write a couple of ghoulish short stories. I work with much younger people now. At work they that understand that I'm an old fart and they carry the Halloween load for me.

• October 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm

It's good you have those that can carry the load for you. πŸ™‚

24. October 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I hide the candy, then go join it.

• October 28, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I'm not surprised one bit. Not one bit. Good for you. πŸ™‚

25. October 28, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I don't really like Halloween very much.

• October 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

That makes two of us Joe. πŸ™‚

26. October 28, 2015 at 6:33 pm

I don't participate either by going out or by giving out candy, but I live in a well concealed area and the people who DO participate here always put out pumpkins and stuff like this to let the trick or treaters know that they are giving out candy. πŸ™‚ I just don't have the money to buy and give out candy, so I don't feel badly about it, because I am not being mean, I just can't afford it.

• October 29, 2015 at 9:23 am

It is indeed expensive. We have so many that most of the neighborhood runs out of candy by 8 or so. πŸ™‚

27. October 28, 2015 at 10:35 pm

When my son, (Taylor) was a little boy we were active participates, although Taylor was more interested in becoming Dracula or a Ninja turtle than the treats, which was good because I hid most of his candy after he went to sleep.

One Halloween we won 200.00 off of my rent when the apartment complex we were living in at the time had a door decorating contest, and it didn't cost me a penny.

Taylor and I made a stuffed man out of old clothes and hung him on the top of the front door frame door in cobwebs, (I did pay for the fake webs) Then, we stuffed several garbage bags, one to look like the body, and the others to use for his and legs of a spider, which was supposed to look like a Black Willow.

I was lucky the apartment manager was a woman, or I guess the contest could have been judged by a man, in any event, a rent free month came in handy at the time.

But, to answer your question, (Golly, I made a short answer long, didn't I?) I hide.

Have a great evening Sandee.

xoxoxo

• October 29, 2015 at 9:24 am

I'm hiding with you honey. Our kids are grown and it's their turn to do this for their kids. πŸ™‚

28. October 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I have a little one still, so we go out. He loves it so. πŸ™‚

• October 31, 2015 at 11:05 am

He's a cutie too. Have fun. πŸ™‚

29. October 30, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I've always been a Halloween fanatic, but it was always dressing up on the scary side. I was never the little princess growing up. My husband, on the other side has never dressed up but does love to give children candy. So, I scared the kids and he gave them candy.

• October 31, 2015 at 11:06 am

Sounds like you two have a great plan. Enjoy your evening. πŸ™‚

30. November 2, 2015 at 2:17 am

We don't have to do either, we don't get trick or treaters. But this year we went out and enjoyed the fun as observers.

• November 2, 2015 at 5:49 am

Yes, I loved your post about the fun you had for Halloween. πŸ™‚