Wednesdays Question

It’s Wednesday so that means it’s question time. It’s time to ponder and then answer just one question. Okay, you can add all you want as a reason for your answer too. We’d all like that.

Here’s this weeks question: Does driving in the big cities make you crazy, or do you just go along with the flow?

Hubby and I just came back from a whirlwind weekend where we had to go to South San Francisco (airport) twice during commute hours. The traffic was horrific both trips and not only going into the city, but leaving the city too. It drives us both crazy.
Β

60 comments for “Wednesdays Question

1. October 14, 2015 at 4:22 am

Driving right where i am can make me crazy, but i've become much more confident since i started traveling by myself a couple of times a year. It occurred to me that, even if i get lost in a big city or in the country, i'm still in the US, probably in the same state i was in a few minutes ago, and i can stop at any gas station and ask for directions.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm

You're using your head while driving. Some folks lose their heads. πŸ™‚

2. October 14, 2015 at 4:58 am

I avoid driving in traffic as much as I can. I hate it. I get all kinds of nervous so if I go anywhere, I go really early in the morning. Sandee, you and Zane and Little Bit have a great day. Glad you had a good time this past week end.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I do too. I try to relax when I have to go somewhere. Just grin and bear it and be kind. πŸ™‚

3. October 14, 2015 at 5:14 am

The travel component of my work required me to drive in most major cities in the US and I dealt with it pretty well, but New York and LA were the worst. Now that I am retired I don't like driving through major cities, but I deal with it as necessary which isn't very often. I just try to avoid driving during rush hours, which in LA seems to be 24/7/365. Have a blessed day. 5-p

• October 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm

We didn't do that very well last weekend. We caught commute traffic both times. πŸ™‚

4. October 14, 2015 at 5:31 am

YES! I hate traffic. I drove back and forth to work in it for 21 years. Reading this just reminded me that I'm SO lucky to work from home now!

• October 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm

When I was younger I didn't mind as much, but now that I'm older it's more stressful and night driving is frightening. πŸ™‚

5. October 14, 2015 at 5:33 am

I hate rush hour driving and try to avoid it when I can. I make all my appointments between 11 and 2 so can be off the roads during rush hour, whenever possible.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

We do the same here, whenever possible. πŸ™‚

6. October 14, 2015 at 5:58 am

I hate driving in the big cities. I worry that some stupid driver not driving properly will hit me. I know that I'm a good driver but it's those others that drive crazy. If possible, I'll get someone else to drive me.
    Have a safe Wednesday Sandee. See ya.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

So many are texting here. I see it all the time. πŸ™‚

7. October 14, 2015 at 6:47 am

I never like driving in big cities. The heavy traffic makes me very stress and tiring! I try my best to avoid driving during peak hours.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

It's is tiring and then some. πŸ™‚

8. October 14, 2015 at 6:54 am

Your question brought to mind this image of parking lot driving: http://bluebirdofbitterness.com/2015/10/13/i-cant-brain-today-i-have-the-dumb/

My wife and I both got rid of our cars and never miss them. That's not always possible!

Alec

• October 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Those were some dumb people weren't they. Bless their hearts. πŸ™‚

9. October 14, 2015 at 7:11 am

I try to avoid peak hour traffic. I don't like reckless driving.
    Have a great day!

• October 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I don't like reckless drivers either. πŸ™‚

10. October 14, 2015 at 7:21 am

I avoid driving in big cities if at all possible! People are either driving crazy or traffic is at a standstill and either one I can't handle! Even tourists in the little coastal towns drive me bonkers though! πŸ™‚

Hope you're having a wonderful week! Smooches to Little Bit!

• October 14, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Oh the tourists. Bless their hearts. πŸ™‚

11. October 14, 2015 at 7:23 am

I lived in Los Angeles where traffic was crazy. It doesn't really bother me, I just go with the flow.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:10 pm

You're one of the few that does go with the flow. πŸ™‚

12. LAC
    October 14, 2015 at 7:58 am

Well, my idea of big city might be smaller than the normal. I have no problem driving in Philadelphia, even the dreaded Schuylkill Expressway. But NYC or anything like LA or San Fran… forget about it. I stick to what I know, and only in daylight. Add darkness to the mix and I am a nervous wreck.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:10 pm

We drive in LA or SF, but it's not where we really want to be. πŸ™‚

13. October 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

It depends entirely upon where I am in the big cities.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Anywhere for me is not good. πŸ™‚

14. October 14, 2015 at 9:12 am

I don't drive and just as well living in central London I use The Underground is so handy & quick and my nearest station is 2 mins along from me.

Have a parkingnightmaretastic day Sandy…now hat was a tongue twister LOL

• October 14, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Lucky you Steve. Lucky you. πŸ™‚

15. October 14, 2015 at 9:48 am

I hate driving in traffic (who doesn't) but traffic in NYC is a special kind of nasty.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I've never been to NYC city and I don't care to ever visit NYC. πŸ™‚

16. October 14, 2015 at 10:05 am

I thought L.A. was bad until I drove in Mexico City—big city driving just drives me nuts. But then we all know they are fully of absolute idiots anyway!

• October 14, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Driving anywhere in Mexico is a special kind of scary. πŸ™‚

17. October 14, 2015 at 10:27 am

I have never driven in my life and quite frankly I don't mind at all. Ever since I was a child, my parents never had a car and we always relied on public transit (the bus). Here in Montreal the bus system is one of the best in the world, I think, and there is less traffic when people take the bus.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:12 pm

You're lucky and you've save tons of money too. πŸ™‚

October 14, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I HATE it. I'll do it if I absolutely have to but I'm small town girl living in a one stop light town. I don't know how people can do the crazy morning commute that some cities have

• October 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I live in a no stoplight town. There are stop signs, but no stoplights. I'm with you Ann. πŸ™‚

19. October 14, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I detest driving in big cities and on the freeway. It makes me super nervous! I'll do it if I have to, but I am gripping the wheel hard the whole time!

• October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Me too. That's what I did last weekend when we had to have two vehicles at the boat. πŸ™‚

20. October 14, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Downtown Truckee is hell during rush hour … c-)

• October 14, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I've been in downtown Truckee during rush hour. A whole different kind of hell. πŸ™‚

21. October 14, 2015 at 2:26 pm

We moved to CA. Love the weather but the driving/freeways are driving me crazy. I can't drive to LA, it just too much traffic. Being in the suburbs is a bit different but I still find it congested with cars πŸ™‚ Woofs to you guys.

• October 14, 2015 at 3:42 pm

California has horrible traffic, but the weather rocks. πŸ™‚

22. October 14, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I lived in Atlanta for five years, and Miami for two, so I have done lots of big city driving. I even drove in New York City once. I don't particularly LIKE to drive in big cities, but I CAN. I like Mayberry driving much better! Give me "laid back," any day.

Scritches to LB. Big hugs, honey…

• October 14, 2015 at 3:43 pm

I've driven in many of the big cities and it didn't bother me much in my younger years. Now…it's stressful and then some. πŸ™‚

23. October 14, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Seattle traffic is even awful on the outskirts… So for me it's white knuckles all the way. I prefer my back roads.

• October 15, 2015 at 10:45 am

We try for the back roads too, but that doesn't always work. πŸ™‚

24. October 14, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Traffic in Manila is craaaaaazzzy!! and I live here πŸ™ The good side is I live very near my work so I do not have to deal with it everyday.

• October 15, 2015 at 10:46 am

You're lucky you live so close to work. That rocks. πŸ™‚

25. October 15, 2015 at 2:27 am

I avoid big cities like the plague. I hate traffic here for the work commute times and anywhere around the mall. Of course I drive about 4,000 miles a year.., maybe. πŸ˜‹

Big hugs xoxo

• October 15, 2015 at 10:46 am

I know you have going to Atlanta to fly home. I remember those posts. πŸ™‚

26. October 15, 2015 at 9:41 am

Traffic in Tampa is awful, but it's made worse by rude drivers who feel they own the road.

• October 15, 2015 at 10:48 am

We must have the same rude drivers here too. It's awful. πŸ™‚

27. October 15, 2015 at 9:44 am

we were in the Bay Area for over a week and left our car as much as we could to either walk or use some sort of public transportation or let friends drive….traffic is just awful down here. Got home Tuesday evening and it's Good to be back in the little wee town of only 3000 people! Cheers!

• October 15, 2015 at 10:49 am

We were in and out of the city last weekend too, We were so close to each other. Yes, being home in our small towns is awesome. πŸ™‚

28. October 15, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Flow? Is there flow in the city. It always feels more like stop. Worse than the traffic are the narrow streets and the huge number of people who cross the center line to get around parked cars. Now that I live outside of a city, it bugs me more to drive in it than it did when I lived in San Francisco. Good question.

• October 16, 2015 at 8:17 am

There isn't much flow indeed. Drives me over the edge sometimes. California is getting worse all the time for driving and everyone seems so angry. πŸ™‚

29. October 15, 2015 at 9:14 pm

When I lived in Sydney many years ago it used to drive me nuts. Then I switched jobs in the Navy from Electrician to the Navy Transport Division I was driving trucks & buses in city traffic all the time so I learned to just relax & get used to it

• October 16, 2015 at 8:17 am

I guess it's the getting used to it that I've not done, but I'm not sure I could get used to that kind of traffic. πŸ™‚

30. October 16, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I live in a fairly big city, and the highway traffic can be very congested. But luckily I don't have to commute in it.

• October 16, 2015 at 3:43 pm

You're lucky that you don't have commute in the awful traffic. Very lucky. πŸ™‚