Wednesdays Question

It’s Wednesday so that means it’s question time. It’s time to ponder and then answer just one question. Okay, you can add all you want as a reason for your answer too. We’d all like that.

Here’s this weeks question: Have you gone camping in your lifetime? I mean in a tent, using a porta potty, building a fire and cooking outside. If so did you like it or hate it?

The first, and only, time my soon to be husband took me camping we ended up in the eastern Sierras and pitched a tent. We cooked outside and had a great dinner. Then a horrible storm came through and I froze the entire night. I felt like I was sleeping on boulders. I was never so happy to see morning arrive. Just to answer the question…we’ve never camped again. I’ll never go camping again.

70 comments for “Wednesdays Question

1. August 26, 2015 at 1:06 am

My mom's idea of camping was staying at Holiday Inn, so I didn't try the tent camping until I was well into my 30s. My first trip was not much better than yours. My friend was in charge and decided her tent was too small for both us and we would be happier with a bigger one, which she didn't know how to set up – and it was dark by the time we arrived, So we ended up sleeping outdoors in our sleeping bags without the tent – somewhere in Northern California. Our next night was better as we got the tent up. Now camping with my hubby and girls is actually fun – just don't tell them I said so, as I prefer walls.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:08 am

Most of us gals prefer walls. πŸ™‚

2. August 26, 2015 at 1:09 am

Ditto to your answer. Only it was mosquitos in apocolyptic numbers, size and ferocity. Never in a million.

My dear husband still thinks there's a chance I'll ever take a trip in the RV he bought a few months ago. Bless his heart.

big hugs, hon xoxo

• August 26, 2015 at 8:17 am

He'll be surprised when you never go right? RVing is not so bad. πŸ™‚

3. August 26, 2015 at 1:34 am

We went camping on a class trip once. I was freezing all night, too and the overall experience just wasn't for me πŸ˜‰ I do love being outside so much, but camping ist just not my favorite thing.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:17 am

I hated it. Hubby used to hike in the mountains. He loved it. πŸ™‚

4. August 26, 2015 at 1:46 am

I have not been on a camping trip. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep because I would be thinking of all the creepy crawlies like the leeches, etc. and not to forget the mosquitoes too! Even though I love nature but to sleep in tents is not one that I look forward to.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:17 am

You haven't missed a thing Nancy. πŸ™‚

5. August 26, 2015 at 3:46 am

Yes, I've gone camping, in a tent w/ porta potty and cooked on a fire. I liked it at the time. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser) I realize that THAT is NO vacation. Too much work, too uncomfortable…..but we do it for the kids. They are growing up so fast, that I would take them one more time…..but we do have a pop-up camper that is better than a tent.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:18 am

It is a lot of work indeed. It's just not for me. πŸ™‚

6. August 26, 2015 at 4:06 am

Our church used to have a camping night. About 50 families would take over one section of the campgrounds. It was so much fun for the kids and adults. However, the actual camping with a tent, waking up cold and everything covered in dew? Not my favorite. I haven't camped since then.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:18 am

It doesn't take long for most of us to not want to do this. πŸ™‚

7. August 26, 2015 at 5:34 am

Yes…I love it!! Its been too long!!

• August 26, 2015 at 8:18 am

Well, many love it, but most don't. πŸ™‚

8. August 26, 2015 at 5:54 am

My idea of camping is staying at the Hilton. I'm not camping individual. Never have & never will/ It's just not me.
    ( Wrong, when I was 12 years old, my neighbor had their tent in the backyard and my brother, my friend & I spent the night there. I hated it. )
    Have a clear, warm Wednesday Sandee. See ya.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:19 am

I'm with you Paul. A nice bed and a shower. That's what it's all about for me too. πŸ™‚

9. August 26, 2015 at 5:57 am

I started out tent camping in the woods behind our cottage before I was even in my teens. Then when I meant my husband we camped with tents for a number of years. I loved it but at the same time it got physically harder to do and we worked our way up to a motor home. I have good memories of those days.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:19 am

When we get older it's tough to do this. I was in my late forties when I went. It wasn't fun. πŸ™‚

10. August 26, 2015 at 6:01 am

When I was young my mom and dad took me camping all the time, we slept in tents on pine bows for cushioning, cooked on camp stoves in the camp grounds, used outdoor potties and had a blast, I loved it then and when I had a family we always went camping graduating to a travel trailer from tents and then to a motor-home. No matter, we loved the outdoors, cooking and enjoying campfires and being together!!!

Hope you can stop by and party with us today!!
    OMHGWW

Happy Wednesday!!
    Karren

• August 26, 2015 at 8:20 am

I love the outdoors too and love being on the water in our boat. It's like an RV and it's awesome. πŸ™‚

11. August 26, 2015 at 6:55 am

I really do enjoy the outdoors but I also really enjoy my very own bed. I have never been camping and don't regret at all not going. Sandee, you and Zane and Little Bit have one heck of a day.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:20 am

I enjoy my own bed too. Here at home and on our boat too. πŸ™‚

12. August 26, 2015 at 7:01 am

Not yet, I'm waiting to see pigs flying.

• August 26, 2015 at 8:21 am

Renting a beach house is way more fun Joe. πŸ™‚

13. August 26, 2015 at 7:35 am

Does backpacking in a wilderness area for a week count?
    Port-a-potties?

• August 26, 2015 at 8:22 am

Hubby did the backpacking. Without the port-a-potty. I'm sure that was for my benefit. πŸ™‚

14. August 26, 2015 at 8:03 am

I went camping a couple of times and did not like it at all! πŸ™‚

• August 26, 2015 at 8:22 am

At least you tried it again. I didn't even do that Linda. πŸ™‚

15. August 26, 2015 at 8:08 am

I went once years ago with a few friends it was a nightmare, although if any of us knew at the time about camping and what it entailed we would have had a better time haha!

Have a camptastic day Sandee y-)

• August 26, 2015 at 8:23 am

Camping entails a lot of stuff and you do have to know what you're doing. πŸ™‚

16. August 26, 2015 at 8:09 am

The older I got the more I hated what I loved in my yute. We have a motorhome now. c-)

• August 26, 2015 at 8:23 am

I could and would do a motor home. We do a boat and it's basically the same thing. πŸ™‚

17. August 26, 2015 at 8:24 am

I have never been camping in a tent but have always wanted to go, well, at least til what I read happened to you! lol!
    xoxo

DakotasDen

• August 26, 2015 at 8:30 am

Well, give it a try Caren, you might like it. πŸ™‚

18. August 26, 2015 at 8:28 am

Nope, no how, no way, never! If I ever camp I need all the luxuries of home without having to go outside to get to any of them!

Happy Wednesday Sandee! Scritches to Little Bit!

• August 26, 2015 at 8:31 am

I'm so with you. I need my bed, a shower and my blow dryer to name a few things. πŸ™‚

19. August 26, 2015 at 8:41 am

I was quite young ( 6 years old) when my parents first took us camping- I loved it- always have even if I have woken up a few times discovering snow outside and a rather soggy sleeping bag. I haven't been camping now for quite some time- my sweetie spent a lot of time camping while in the military….so now if I go with friends we rent cabins in the woods- usually old ranger stations and since most of them come with running water, showers and even kitchen appliances we call it "gourmet camping"! It's not for everyone I know! Cheers and my best to LB and Zane!

• August 26, 2015 at 9:28 am

Sounds like you had a great childhood. Good for you. I wouldn't mind gourmet camping. πŸ™‚

20. August 26, 2015 at 9:05 am

I use to go all of the time with my aunt, uncle and cousins when I was a kid. I loved it. These days, I prefer glamping. πŸ˜‰

• August 26, 2015 at 9:28 am

When we get older things change. It's a good thing. πŸ™‚

21. August 26, 2015 at 9:21 am

Before I became handicapped, we camped a lot. In a tent, but I require a blow up mattress (no sleeping on boulders for me). We always camped at places that had bathrooms and showers. We were KOA members. Best camping experience ever was in CA at the annual Huck Finn Jubilee in Ontario. Happiest weekend of our camping life. I really miss it. Have a great day Sandee.

• August 26, 2015 at 9:29 am

Sounds like a fabulous experience at the Huck Finn Jubilee. πŸ™‚

22. August 26, 2015 at 9:47 am

Dear Sandee, I have never gone camping in a tent and I really have not one bit of desire to do so!! I never had the desire to do so and I don't think I ever will!!
    xoxo Catherine

• August 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I know I'll never go again. It was pretty awful. πŸ™‚

23. August 26, 2015 at 9:57 am

I have never been on camp. Reading our bloggers' experience, I am hesitant to go on camp.

• August 26, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Don't go, don't go. Ever. πŸ™‚

24. August 26, 2015 at 10:08 am

Gone camping many times over time. Love the outdoors, but the older I get the more I like the conveniences of home!

• August 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I think it would kill me now. πŸ™‚

25. August 26, 2015 at 10:11 am

I'm surprised Mr. Sandee became a husband after that initial camping trip πŸ™‚ Just teasing. My husband and I are more beach people so camping has never a big deal between us. The closest we get to the woods is canoeing on the Hillsborough River and running over alligators.

• August 26, 2015 at 12:58 pm

He was so hot I just overlooked this small error. He knew not to repeat it too. πŸ™‚

26. August 26, 2015 at 11:11 am

We always go camping but we camp in a caravan with a toilet, a big bed and heat. So this is comfortable d-)

• August 26, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Our being out on our boat is much the same. We really like that too. πŸ™‚

August 26, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I have been camping a couple times. My ex husband and I went. I liked it but then I was in my early 20's then. Now I could still go camping but I would need a fully equipped camper with all the modern luxuries

• August 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Funny how that works. Same for me. πŸ™‚

28. August 26, 2015 at 2:23 pm

The only camping i've ever done is when i was a kid with the Girl Scouts. We stayed at a campground that had the wood and screen buildings and so we didn't technically sleep outdoors. The potties were of the outhouse variety, all cooking was over the camp fire, and we only went in those flimsy buildings to sleep. It's not real camping, but it's as close as i ever want to get.

• August 26, 2015 at 2:30 pm

That's a fun way to go. Did that too. I loved it. πŸ™‚

29. August 26, 2015 at 2:28 pm

My husband grew up as a big time camper. I did not. I remember when he brought home a tent and sleeping bags for all of us a few summers ago. I looked at it all like what am I supposed to do with this stuff?!

• August 26, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Pretty much what I would do if hubby brought out the tent. A deer in the headlights kind of thing. πŸ™‚

30. August 26, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I used to really like camping. Though I did prefer parks with indoor bathrooms.

• August 26, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Bathrooms rock when you're camping. They really do. πŸ™‚

31. August 26, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Oh BOY do I have camping stories. Freezing, sweating, floods… and lots and lots of fun! I was the only Mom who took the boys on the boy scout camping trips. I ROCKED camping!

• August 27, 2015 at 8:13 am

That's camping. If we hadn't had that terrible storm I might have liked it better. πŸ™‚

32. August 26, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Done it all. Love camping, but prefer a camper over a tent. Much better in bad weather.

• August 27, 2015 at 8:14 am

Me too. I like my head, my bed, my out of the weather boat. πŸ™‚

33. August 26, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Yes!! and I love it! we camped for 4 days and 3 nights on secluded island beside the beach and mountains. It was such a happy experience and I would love to do it again!

• August 27, 2015 at 8:14 am

You are an exception Rocks. Way cool. πŸ™‚

34. August 28, 2015 at 6:00 am

Once…and that was enuf to cure me. Need walls, preferably my 42' Moho walls! Campfire optional. I'm late because we were off glamping, complete with campfire.

Big hugs, honey…

• August 28, 2015 at 10:32 am

Yep, I like my 34 foot Sea Ray for the same reason. πŸ™‚

35. August 28, 2015 at 6:21 pm

In my airstream. Lol! I tried the other kind. It's okay. I mean I can do it if I have to!

• August 29, 2015 at 8:21 am

I don't have to and I won't. I want my comfy bed and my bathroom. πŸ™‚