Fragments

The information below was written by my husband and sent to all our boating friends on Tuesday. Here is part four, written by hubby, on this continuing saga.

The Saga of Old Dogs – Part IV

We are back from the Vet and had high hopes for weight gain and good liver numbers. Unfortunately, it is not the case.

Although she is up a pound, her main liver number the Dr. is concerned about is almost 6,000 now. I think the test is for ALT, or ALC. She was near 4,000 when she had the seizures when we boated to Village West, then for two months they came down to near 2,000. Now we have a sudden spike. We are doing all the things we can and the answer is simply “Old Dog.” She is now 12 years 6 months.

In doing a bit of Google it appears that with a spike it means rapid liver problems. So as long as she is not in pain, eating and pooping, all we can all do is love her as much as we can for the time left us all.

We are currently on a cruise for the Commodores Appreciation BBQ, for the International Order of the Blue Gavel (Delta District 19), and hubby and I have tons of work to do so we are going to be rather scarce until Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Just want you to know why we’re not around.

44 comments for “Fragments

1. May 16, 2015 at 1:39 am

Yes, it is so hard when our babies get a bit of age on 'em. But we love 'em good as we can while we can.

Have yourself a lovely little cruise. I wish I were out on the water. *sigh* big hugs, hon. x0x0

• May 18, 2015 at 9:25 am

We love her something awful Barb. She knows it too. It's all about her and keeping her as comfortable as possible.

We had an amazing cruise over, a blast all weekend, and an even better cruise back home. πŸ™‚

May 16, 2015 at 3:06 am

sorry to hear about the liver number. Give Little Bit a hug and a couple ear scritches from me and Gibbs.
    Enjoy your cruise.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:26 am

She thanks you for the hugs and scritches Ann. πŸ™‚

3. May 16, 2015 at 4:44 am

I feel your pain. I know you both will love and care for LB as long as you can. She has had a mighty good life, filled with many adventures. She is one lucky doggie. Give her tons of scritches for me, K?

Enjoy your fabulous weekend. We get 3 kids back at noon and have them till tomorrow night. I will be feeling like an old dog by then!

Big hugs, honey…

• May 18, 2015 at 9:27 am

You know we will and thanks for the tons of scritches. She likes those a lot. πŸ™‚

4. May 16, 2015 at 4:48 am

It's the worst, when our beloved animals gets old :-SS

• May 18, 2015 at 9:27 am

It is indeed. It is indeed. πŸ™‚

5. May 16, 2015 at 4:55 am

It is so hard when they get old. We are sorry Little Bit if having some troubles. As you said just love her a lot. Sandee, is Little Bit on any pain killers?? My vet told me that pred or any thing like that can bring the numbers up. I sure hope those numbers go down soon. Crossing all our paws for you Little Bit. Also thanks for putting Ande on Facebook. Take care Sandee and Zane and Little Bit and have a great week end.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:29 am

Little bit only gets her allergy shots and her liver pills. She's not on any pain or anti-inflammatory medication at all. We took her of the anti-inflammatory medication when she has the two seizures in January. πŸ™‚

6. May 16, 2015 at 5:40 am

Sorry to hear this and agree with what the others have said and Laika
    I hope she rallies along if she isn't in pain as she is being well looked after.

Enjoy your cruise and BBQ :-h

• May 18, 2015 at 9:31 am

We're with her almost 24/7. We decline many events so we don't have to leave her alone. πŸ™‚

7. May 16, 2015 at 5:45 am

I'm sorry to hear about Little Bit. I still think about my boxer, Bruno. He was such a special friend and even today every time I hear a story about dogs I think about Bruno. Give Little Bit my love and you two also.
    Have enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful Saturday Sandee. See ya.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:31 am

Thanks Paul. All we can do is love her. Love back to you both too. πŸ™‚

8. May 16, 2015 at 6:04 am

It's hard to watch an elderly dog losing ground but you are doing the right thing for her and your family.

Have fun on your cruise.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:32 am

She's our baby and we'll be here for her until the end. πŸ™‚

9. May 16, 2015 at 6:28 am

Aw. It's one of the most difficult and cruel thing to witness. My heart goes out to our furry friends in pain. If only they can live forever.

Hope you're still enjoying your cruise though.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:33 am

Little Bit isn't in pain. Apparently she won't be either. At some point she won't feel good, but pain isn't supposed to be in the mix. It's all the other things that can happen to her. Injury and such because she's not very mobile anymore. πŸ™‚

10. May 16, 2015 at 7:10 am

Give LB an extra hug from us- Lucy sends her love also!

• May 18, 2015 at 9:34 am

Will do Kathe. Thank Miss Lucy too. πŸ™‚

11. May 16, 2015 at 7:52 am

We were there just months ago. Kyla was given 1 to 6 months and most likely 3. It was 3 months when she crossed a week before Christmas aged 12Β½. We still miss her a lot.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:34 am

I so remember. We're not looking forward to this at all. πŸ™‚

12. May 16, 2015 at 8:39 am

I feel for all of you. Watching sickness in a loved one is so hard. Take comfort in the fact that you're doing all you can for Little Bit and that she's fortunate to have such a loving home.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:35 am

She has a loving home indeed. It's all about her at this point. πŸ™‚

13. May 16, 2015 at 11:26 am

Sending love and prayers to all of you…and especially to Spike (((hugs)))

• May 18, 2015 at 9:36 am

Thank honey. Little Bit appreciates it very much. πŸ™‚

14. May 16, 2015 at 11:59 am

Lots of love and hugs to all of you as you face this time.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:36 am

Thank honey. Love and hugs are very helpful. πŸ™‚

15. May 16, 2015 at 2:56 pm

As the old song goes "Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine"! Your dog will be in my prayers as my 14 year old is.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:37 am

We know Little Bit won't see 14. We hope she'll see 13 though. πŸ™‚

16. May 16, 2015 at 6:00 pm

oh sweetheart, i'm sorry. cat lost her "bobby" this year and it was such a heartache. he was a german shepherd and such an angel. i know little bit is an angel too. roche' says he's lay next to her if i'd mail him to you.

hugs, bee
    xoxo

• May 18, 2015 at 9:38 am

Roche and Little Bit have already been together. How sweet of Roche though. πŸ™‚

17. May 17, 2015 at 4:12 am

πŸ™ I think that's all we can do with our furry friends…love them while we have them. Our days with them are limited. It takes a while to form a bond when you first meet them but once that bond is formed, you just love them with all you have.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:39 am

It's all we can do indeed. We love her to the moon and back. πŸ™‚

18. May 17, 2015 at 4:32 am

Sorry about Spike. Hope you are having a great time on your cruising weekend.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:41 am

Thank Rhonda. We had a fabulous time on our cruise. πŸ™‚

19. May 17, 2015 at 6:37 am

She's lucky to have you, and I'm sure you feel the same about her too!

• May 18, 2015 at 9:41 am

You're spot on Rose. Spot on. πŸ™‚

20. LAC
    May 18, 2015 at 4:36 am

OH my heart aches to think of you and Mr. Z facing this loss. You have been amazing parents to Little Bit. Know we are thinking of you, and hope your time with her is still eons to come.

• May 18, 2015 at 9:42 am

Thanks Lisa. We just love her to pieces each and every precious moment. πŸ™‚

21. May 18, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Sandee. But like you said, the best thing you can do for her is love her as much as you can and hope for the best.

• May 19, 2015 at 7:30 am

And love her we do. πŸ™‚

22. May 18, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog but I'm sure she's very happy about how you have treated her and all the love that you gave her.

• May 19, 2015 at 7:31 am

We treat her better than we treat ourselves. πŸ™‚