Fragments

The information below was written my my husband and sent to all our boating friends and our family. I had written about this, but hubby said it all so much better.

The Saga of Old Dogs

For those who don’t know, Little Bit had two seizures while boating to Stockton with the club on Friday, so when we got tied up we called our Vet in Turlock and made an appointment as soon as we could which was Tuesday at 4p.

We had taken Bit for her annual in December because we knew she wasn’t feeling well. Her behavior was off, following us around unusually and such. Turned out that she had a urinary tract infection and high liver enzymes. The alphabet soup enzyme starts with the letter A and has several letters, so I don’t know which it is but more to follow. This liver enzyme is supposed to be in the 1000 number and hers was in the 3000’s. Meds and sonogram to follow.

The results of the sonogram showed cysts on her liver and we were to stop high protein treats which we did.

Dr said that the elevated liver enzymes can cause seizures so another blood test yesterday. This time the enzymes are in the 4000 level, so it is increasing which is not good. We go back in a month for another test.

Dr was very gentle in talking about what we can do, including a biopsy of the liver, CAT scan on the brain to see what is going on there etc.

Finally we said, “We know we have a very old dog. Our objective is to give her the best quality of life we can and make her as comfortable as we can.” With that he changed, showing relief and we talked about the reality of very invasive procedures that reveal problems that we can do nothing about.

Although he did not say it directly, the feeling that we got was serious liver trouble. We don’t want to say the “C” word, but we are afraid that is where she is headed.

Our instructions then from the Vet are to watch for behavior changes, come back for monthly blood tests and savor every day.

We have noticed Little Bit staring at us with increased frequency as she contemplates her mortality and exit.

So each time you see her, relish the mystery.

58 comments for “Fragments

1. January 15, 2015 at 2:33 am

Poor Baby. We are praying for her. But read here: A couple a years ago, Mom and dad had
    this Shephard Mix. At the age of 12 he went ill and his testicles grew a lot. He threw up and had a fever too. They brought him to the Vet, and the Vet told them he probably had the C-word in his testicles. They told mom and dad to take him home and come back when he got pains. They also told them it probably would be a month or so. But the fever went away and the old boy cleared up and lived for another 2Β½ year. Miracles happens every day.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:18 am

We are going to love her and hope that she lasts for another 21/2 years. Thanks for the kind words and the prayers. πŸ™‚

2. January 15, 2015 at 2:51 am

Bless her. It's the hardest time for pet parents. How well I know. Just love her real good, as you always have.

big hugs to to all honey xoxo

• January 15, 2015 at 11:19 am

She's our baby Barb, but you already know that. πŸ™‚

3. January 15, 2015 at 5:16 am

Oh Sandee and Zane, I have tears streaming down my face. This is so sad. :Please give Little Bit a huge hug for me. I am so glad you didn't do all those tests. And maybe a miracle will happen but do spend as much time with her as you can.. Big hugs to Sandee and Zane too. Take good care.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:19 am

I gave Little Bit lots of hugs from you this morning. Not going to do the tests. Too much pain for her to endure. πŸ™‚

4. January 15, 2015 at 5:31 am

I'm sorry Sandee, I can't write more then that. It hurts to much. Sorry about Little Bit.

Paul

• January 15, 2015 at 11:20 am

Thank you Paul. She's been our baby for over 12 years. We'll always love her. πŸ™‚

5. January 15, 2015 at 6:04 am

I have leaky eyes and ache for all three of you. We have been there, and it just hurts the heart to see a fur baby suffering. Love LB and keep her comfortable for as long as she is able. Give her some scritches for me, please. She is precious.

Mucho hugs for you and Zane, honey…

• January 15, 2015 at 11:20 am

She's still with us, but we fear not for long. I hope we are wrong about that. πŸ™‚

6. January 15, 2015 at 6:29 am

Sorry Guys … savor each day.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:21 am

We do Odie, we savor each day we have with her. πŸ™‚

7. January 15, 2015 at 6:35 am

We just went through this. We didn't want chemo or radiation for Kyla and she had 3 good months after the diagnosis. I hasn't been a month since we lost her so we know. You're doing the right thing. You can always contact us for info, questions and/or a shoulder to cry on.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:21 am

I know you just went through this. Thanks for your offer, and the shoulder too. πŸ™‚

8. January 15, 2015 at 7:12 am

Watching a beloved pet go through health issues is SO hard to do! My heart goes out to you all.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:22 am

It is hard indeed. We've had her since she was a tiny puppy. πŸ™‚

9. January 15, 2015 at 7:21 am

Hugs and prayers for all of you at this difficult time.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:22 am

Thank you honey. πŸ™‚

10. January 15, 2015 at 7:35 am

I'm sorry for you and your husband. We went through the loss of our beloved German Shepherd, Dax, in 2008 and, just recently, we were talking about how much we still miss her. She had always been healthy and we thought her problem was the hip dysplasia for which we gave her Rimadyl and a chondroitin supplement.

Well, she went downhill very fast after we noticed she wasn't pooping and took her in for more tests. Like with your Little Bit, there was just too much wrong with her to fix. We kept her comfortable as were grateful for the time we did spend with her.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:23 am

Yep, that's all we can do at this point is keep her comfortable and love her. Both are easy to do. πŸ™‚

• January 17, 2015 at 9:39 am

Not easy, but doable.

• January 17, 2015 at 9:42 am

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

11. January 15, 2015 at 8:06 am

Aww. That is the worst part about having pets. My dog just turned seven and I think every day about the fact that she won't be with us forever. She's my constant companion since I work from home. They give us so much happiness while they're with us, though, it makes it worth the pain when they go.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

She has been the best dog we've ever had. Smart as a whip and so loving. She's just the best and we're going to make her as comfortable as we possibly can. πŸ™‚

12. January 15, 2015 at 8:25 am

I feel your pain. You are making the right choice,

• January 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thanks Joe. We know it's the right choice. πŸ™‚

13. January 15, 2015 at 9:05 am

Very pathetic not only for Little Bit but to you too. My prayers for her early recovery.

• January 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thank you my friend. πŸ™‚

14. January 15, 2015 at 10:25 am

I love you my Darlin'

• January 15, 2015 at 11:25 am

I love you too honey. πŸ™‚

15. January 15, 2015 at 10:25 am

So sad to hear this Sandee. It's hard when they get seriously sick as they are like our children to us. Scritches to Litle Bit

• January 15, 2015 at 11:25 am

She is our baby and always will be. πŸ™‚

16. January 15, 2015 at 11:01 am

Oh Sandee I am so sad for Little Bit and You and Zane….here's a pic of our last kitty Muffie ….like all our cats she was a sweetheart…just like your Little Bit. You are doing the right thing by her! Very big hugs.
    whoops cannotfindthe pic

• January 15, 2015 at 11:26 am

She talks to us I swear. She lets us know what she wants or needs. I'm glad about that. πŸ™‚

17. January 15, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I am so sorry. I will pray for Little Bit and you guys. I have been through that, and all you can do is love him. But you already do that…. I think you are making the right decision. Luvs

• January 15, 2015 at 1:03 pm

That's all we can do is love them and that's very easy to do. Thanks for the prayers. πŸ™‚

18. January 15, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Oh Sandy, this brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry. I know how hard this is. Take comfort in knowing that you gave her a very good life and enjoy every second that remains. Big hugs to you all

• January 15, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I know you know Ann. We knew she was old, but she seemed pretty healthy. She isn't. πŸ™

19. January 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Me and dogs… this was a beautiful read and a heartbreaking read. Keep giving love and enjoy every minute you have. I'm so sorry…. I have no words.

• January 16, 2015 at 8:20 am

I didn't have words either, but hubby did. We'll love her and give her the best end of life that we can. πŸ™‚

20. January 15, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that, Sandee. I know how much Little Bit means to you both. Hopefully things aren't as bad as you fear, but I know no mater what you'll do as much as you can to giver her the best life she can have.

• January 16, 2015 at 8:20 am

You are so right Binky. It's always been about her and it will continue to be all about her. πŸ™‚

21. January 16, 2015 at 5:30 am

I'm sorry to hear she's having seizures. I'm sure they're confusing to her, but hurrah that she's in a loving, giving home. There's a lot to be said for quality of life. πŸ™‚ Hugs to you!!

• January 16, 2015 at 8:21 am

That's what we want for her…the best quality of life. Hugs back Rose. πŸ™‚

22. January 16, 2015 at 9:01 am

Sounds painful on so many levels. Just said a prayer for you all.

• January 16, 2015 at 10:57 am

Thanks Jason. We'll take all the prayers we can get. πŸ™‚

23. January 16, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Oh no! I missed this yesterday! I'm so sorry to hear about Little Bit. My eyes are all leaky. My heart goes out to you. Having dealt with similar issues with Sadie I know how difficult it is to see our babies like this. I know you will cherish every single second with her that you can. Please give her extra snooter smooches for me. Sending purrs and prayers to her and hugs to you.

• January 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Thanks honey. It's been difficult, but she's still with us. She's been such an important part of our family. β™₯β™₯β™₯

24. January 16, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Dear Sandee, I am so sorry that Little Bit is not feeling well. It is heart-wrenching and breaking. I will keep her in my prayers and you as well.
    xoxo Catherine

• January 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Thank you for the prayers Catherine. She's such a wonderful old girl. πŸ™‚

25. January 17, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Oh Sandee, I am indeed sorry. Our pets do become a very real part of our family.
    It was a struggle to get through the holidays with our cat knowing tests were to begin in January. Our cat, Smokey, has been with us for more than 12 years. However, the day we dropped him off at the vets to begin tests we were greeted with good news when we picked him up. He did not have what they thought he had, which was some kind of genetic issues. He is still on meds, til they run out, and we are hopeful.

• January 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm

She definitely a part of our family. Like one of the kids only nicer and less expensive. Great news on your cat though. Those are most welcome surprises. πŸ™‚

26. January 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Sorry to hear this sad news Sandee. Miracles do happen so let's keep hoping. Hugs!

• January 20, 2015 at 7:04 am

It would be a huge miracle if this got better. Thanks for the nice comment. πŸ™‚

27. January 25, 2015 at 12:09 pm

oh sweetie, i am so sorry about this, and i am so sorry to be so late getting here. big hugs!

bee
    xoxo

• January 25, 2015 at 12:18 pm

You were on a cruise and that trumps everything else honey. She's doing pretty good right now and we hope that lasts a long time. Love you honey. πŸ™‚

28. August 13, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Oh Sandee, I can relate to Little Bit. I have been fighting liver problems myself, although they are not as serious. I wish that dogs lived longer, it's heart breaking to watch them go, she's got but you and "haubbie's" help. I'm sure your attitude is helping her. God bless Little Bit.

Love to you…

29. MNL
    March 13, 2018 at 4:08 am

oh, I’m sorry about this. Did she get better?

❀I Love Comments❀